Thursday, December 29, 2005

The sidewinder is just that.......WIND!!!!!!



Well, believe it or not...I do take everything that comes across my desk and check it out....and in great detail. So let's just take today as an example. If I understand this sidewinder thingie, it's when it is red....look to short. When it is green look for a long and when it's yellow, well you are on your own so to speak.

Ok, I understand that, I think even someone from say.......Arkansas can get this one.
Just busting and don't need any emails.....so relax. I like to trade the ZLR when the turbo (6) comes above 100 and turns down. If it doesn't make it up to 100 I wouldn't short instead I wait for the ideal setup.....that is also nice and simple for me to understand. I even have an alert programmed that will let me know when the CCI is below zero for 6 bars and then when the turbo comes above 100...it says....TURBO ALERT.

The problem I have is when you miss a great trade and then get killed in chop. Like this morning, if you were using this indicator, you would have missed the first ZLR for sure...because it was yellow at "A". Now OleMickey 3 bar trade worked just fine again after the First Bar failed, but that is another story.

Then we had "B", again the indicator was green, so pass on that one.
Then the Sidewinder turned RED.....and I was ready to jump all over this one. 5 bars later it took out the high of "C" and that was that.
Then there was "D", again the Sidewinder is red and so is the CCI so let's short this puppy. It took out the high of "D" and I don't know how you would handle this, but for me......I would have been gone.....of course 4 bars later it drops.
Then we have "E", again the Sidewinder is red and the CCI is below zero for 6 bars so SHORT this thing.

You would have missed the best trade (A), and got nailed on the next three (C), (D) and (E)....now that isn't "Great Trading Everyone"....no matter how you cut it.

So let's talk about using price to confirm a setup.......and not use the Sidewinder. You would have had 5 setups. "A" and "B" would have triggered when the low was taken out of the setup bar without taking out the high. "C", "D" and "E" would not have triggered since they all took out the high of the setup bar and voided the setup. So by using price instead of some secret indicator.....you would have had 2 trades, a nice one and a hope to get some.

But what a difference this would have made today.....instead of missing the good one and then losing money......yea that's right....losing money, you could have made some cash to take your honey out for a nice New Year's Eve party this weekend.

I look at it this way, no matter how I find a trade or setup if you like, if I want to go short......then what has to happen in order for me to have a chance at making money? The price has to go down.....PERIOD. IF price doesn't go down, then you are in a hope mode within minutes........no matter what the indicator is saying.

It's as simple as that.......so now you can delete some stuff off your charts and clean them up over the long holiday weekend.......ROTFL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my understanding was that red sidewinder means "stand aside" and not take zlr signal. it's a permission filter. when red, it's like red traffic light - no go. green - then take either long or short zlr.

Anonymous said...

While I don't use sidewinder anymore, this is how it should be used. Green is for trending in any direction, yellow is for caution in any direction, red is stay out (of ZLRs). Basically it is the sum of the 25lsma and 34ema angles. Green equals trend, red = flat.