Monday, January 30, 2006

All about timing......



So Jim has been working for almost a year trying to raise enough funds to build a boys and girls club chapter here in Gatlinburg. He is one heck of a salesman, I'll say that, and worked me over for a $50,000.00 donation. But when I went to the awards dinner a couple of weeks ago and listened to the girl talk about her life, WELL, I decided I needed to step it up.

Jim always leaves for Naples about this time of year and doesn't come back until about Easter and he was $47,000.00 short of his goal the night of the awards dinner.
On Friday, it started out like any normal day as I went to the Pancake Pantry for breakfast, I had them call Jim and ask that all important question. The answer came back $7,400.00. So I told him, if you can get a reporter to take a picture, I'll give you a check for $7,401.00....that is one dollar more then his goal and would start the motions to begin construction. Neverless to say, at 2:00pm we all met at the site and took this photo. So Jim's dream and goal has come to pass......



Now some might say, that me posting this....I am showing off. Well, pound sand....but for the rest of us. Trading can give you the opportunity to make choices that can provide a better life for others....what have you done??????????


If you enjoy humor, then get a load of this. One of the local banks put up $30,000.00 a couple days before. Had their picture taken also, but they made page 3 and black and white photo, while little old me got the headlines by putting them over the goal......there is a lesson in marketing there somewhere......But the kids win no matter.

The only problem on Friday was later in the day, while on the hill helping the guys I had another boo boo......anyone that knows me, knows that when we started this house two years ago, well I was always doing something to get hurt. I even had a Polaris Ranger roll back over me and mess up my shoulder and back. I used to roll down the hill every weekend it seemed. My kids would get a call on their cells and I would hear them say...."Well, as soon as my Dad rolls down the hill, we'll be done for the day". But the last 10 months I have been injury free....well up to two weeks ago, the last thing I thought while falling into a 2x4 was..."this is going to hurt".

Friday was the best one yet, I was this close to going to over the side again from 40 feet in the air....I only ended up with a minor bump on the head and a half pint of blood.......the guys wouldn't let me help anymore....one even said..."You are to valuable to be doing this". But just another day in the wide world of sport.

On Friday,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Dennis! To be able to give into these kids lives and impact their future with a gift that will give for ages is wonderful. We should all have this type of giving as our goal. You definitely walk the talk and show us it is doable. Congrats on the positive publicity!
kenton